Friday, November 26, 2021

52Ancestors52Weeks Week 47 Theme: Thankful .................Pictures Preserve Moments in Time For Future Generations

 From the King Family Album taken before 1906, possibly in San Francisco, California.

  The theme for this week is thankful...I thought I'd share this small photograph that I found in the my Great Grandmother's family album.  It was either taken in Grass Valley or in San Francisco around 1903-1906.  I love the shadow to the right; that may have been my Great Grandmother Emma Lavinia King Hayes Van Duzer.  The picture captures someone's prize turkey strutting his feathers.  He probably  ended up gracing a Thanksgiving table somewhere that November.  I wonder what Emma's family was grateful for that particular year?  This picture preserved a moment in time, but I am left to guess at where it was taken, when it was taken, and who took the picture.  And whose turkey was this? 

  Whether it is family history on my side of the family or my husband and children's rich Mayflower ancestry, I am thankful for all the generations who have gone before us.  I am also very grateful and thankful for all the boxes and boxes (and more boxes) of pictures in my possession that I am able to share with family.  Each picture has preserved an instant of out of time and holds past lives still forever, for not only myself, but for future generations. These photographs are like return tickets to moments that have otherwise come and gone.  What a rare gift! 
    Now if only each and every picture had some kind of identification written on the back......








  

  

  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment