Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Are You My (Norwegian) Cousin? (Hansen)




  As I write this family history, I digitize and archive as I go.  All the while uncovering new finds to  ponder over and then figure out how they fit into this wonderful puzzle.    I found a large manila folder marked  "Norwegian Family".  Under that was marked "Hans Gunderson" and "Emma".  Under that was marked "Knud Nilsen"; all in my Auntie Claire's writing.  This was a mix of old pictures, pictures from the 30's, pictures from my Grandfather Harold Hansen's 1930 trip to Norway, and a few pictures from the 1950's.  I am posting the majority of the pictures with some interpretation, but I will have to save more research for a later date.  Enjoy! 



These two pictures appear to have been taken at the same photography studio, at the same time in Kristiana, Norway (spelled Kristiana on the back).   This second picture has some writing in Norwegian which I believe says that the picture is being sent to California from Marie.  Marie was John Hartwig Hansen's cousin, born in 1889.  I believe the top picture is of  Marie's younger sister Emma, born in 1894.  They were daughters of John's sister Hulda, who married Harold Klemmetsen.  I am guessing that Emma might be around 13 years old, and Marie may be around 18 years old, making the date of these pictures around 1907.  It is just a guess.  




  I have posted this picture of my Great Grandfather John Hartwig Hansen before, but it appears to have been taken at the same studio.   It is fun to compare with the above pictures.   This picture has always been hard to judge as far as when it was taken. The collar looks more turn of the century, but he would have been in his mid 30's by then, and in California.   Was it taken when he was a young man in his twenties?  That would date the picture to around 1885.  I am sure his clothing gives lots of clues, but maybe someone else can take on that project. Or I can put it on my to-do list. 


   Then we come to this picture, which was taken at the very same studio. The exception is that on the back, Kristiana is spelled Christiana, making me think it was taken at a later date. I do not know who this could be.  More research is needed on this one.  That tie may be a big clue. Is it Knud Nilsen who wrote the letters to the family in 1945? Is it a younger brother of Marie and Emma? It might be the youngest brother  Rolph (Ralph) born in 1898.  He looks like a younger version of the young man on the left in the picture below.   A mystery for sure. 




  This next picture is from my Grandfather Harold's trip to Norway in 1930.  I know that the older gentleman on the right is Harold Klemmetsen with his wife, Hulda.  I believe that the younger woman on the left is their daughter Emma. I am not sure of the identify of the gentleman on the left  with any certainty. I have not yet been able to find any census records listing Emma's  husband or her children. He may be her husband, or a brother.  I am leaning towards brother.  But, we can use this picture as a reference to identifying other people in other pictures. 



  This picture has writing on the back....I recognize the words Ski (where Grandpa visited the farm), Emma, and the date September 26, 1931.  The older couple is Harold and Hulda. I do not know the identity of the young man. 



Harold Hansen with Hulda (left) and Emma (right) 1930.


Harold Hansen with ? 1930. 

Hulda Klemmetsen 1930.  



The farm in Ski
 



Unidentified 




Unidentified. Probably a later date from the pictures above. 



This is signed   "Sincerely Emma" 1933



Unidentified.  1930's? 



This one is from 1958



"Girl Scouts  1958"  Unknown cousin. 



Earlier photograph than the two above.  Maybe the mother in the upper photo? 


  
  

  I will leave this post with one more picture.  John Hartwig Hansen is in the middle holding some seaweed.  Who is he with? He is obviously a very young man.  What year was this?  I have so many more questions about his family and early life in Norway.  What was the close connection to his sister Hulda and her family?  I don't know when his parents Hans and Anna died, but perhaps his sister helped to raise him, as he was the baby of the family.  Hulda's husband Harold certainly had a big influence on him, with his connection to the sea. He would later use that connection to help my Grandfather with his trip to Norway in 1930. 

And who was Knud Nilsen? It is still a mystery not yet solved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment