Friday, May 22, 2020

"The Long, Terrific War" Letters from Norway (Hansen)




  I found two letters that my Auntie Claire had filed under John Hansen.  The first was written by Knut Nilsen and began "Dear Uncle".   It was addressed to John Hansen and was written November 10th, 1945.  John Hansen had passed away earlier in the year on April 10th. The news had not yet reached Norway, most likely due to  German occupation.   The second letter was written by Knut  and began "Dear Jack".  It was written to my Uncle Jack April 20, 1946 expressing  sympathy at hearing the news of his father John's death. Both letters give us a unique perspective of the German occupation of Norway during WWII and the impact it had on our Norwegian relatives.  I am still working on researching the relationship between John Hansen and Knut Nilsen, but it appears that the relationship was a close one.  The inability to communicate with family during this time is really felt in Knut's first letter.  

German occupation of Norway began April 9, 1940 and ended May 8, 1945. 

Here is the first letter, type written in English. 



Knut Nilsen
Havalds Vei 1. 
Bekkelagshogda
Oslo--Norway                                                          November 10th, 1945


Dear Uncle, 

  How are you and your family, uncle? We, my father, my brothers and I have very often been thinking of you and yours, but during the war we were not able to send you letters.  The Germans refused it of course, one of the many results of the hard occupation.  But now we are through it, and many drops have run into the ocean since last I heard from you.  And, of course, we wonder how you and your family came through the long, terrific war.  We have been thinking of your sons, whom I had the pleasure to meet, especially Haine and Jack. Have they served in the army or the navy and have you got them safe home again? 

  My mother, and my youngest brother Per died during the war.   Per went to the officer's school 1939-40, and during the winter maneuvres he got hard ill and was brought to Akers Sykehus, where he was when the Germans broke in. He was thrown out by them and was at home until he was brought in again.  He said himself that he was all right, and only wanted to live at a sanatory at Lillehammer for reconvalesence. But there he had to take an operation, and few days after the doctors could not do anything more for him.  He died on July 21, 1942, 23 years old. 

  Mother had then been ill since I came from sea in 1938.  She was very ill then, and when Per died, she fortunately could not perceive it.  She died three months after.  She had been ill for many years, so we considered it to be the best for her to be saved for (from?) more pains.

  Father and I live alone now, we have a clever maid, which is a good help.  My brothers Harald and Birger are both married and have children at an age of 4 years to 11.  Birger has the illness Sclerosis Multiplex (Multiple Sclerosis) in his arms and legs, and by means of a stick he moves to the tram every day and is doing his office work.  For the rest of the day he sits in a chair in his home.

  My father is still going strong, and so am I.  The Germans were often after me, but I kept clear of them, and the seventh of May was a big day when we could wear  our weapons openly and did not need to train secretly any longer.

  Now it is all over, and we appreciate it.  These years were long and dark, and we did not know who was next to be taken to the Nazi prison and tortured to death.  Our work in the underground was dangerous , but we had to do it, and we did something.

  Now our country is visited by the allied troops, and we like them very much.  Many Americans have been here and I often thought that perhaps I should meet Haine (Harold) or Jack.  I have made acquaintances among them, and they have come to my house as well as to my brothers'. 

  These are few words, uncle, and I shall remember to you and your family from my father and my brothers. 

  With many regards to you, your wife and your sons. 

(two lines of Norwegian written by hand  that are hard to decipher.....)

                                                                    Knut. 


The second letter is hand written on extra thin see-through paper and is very fragile. It has been taped multiple times in the past to preserve it intact.  It begins...

Dear Jack. 

  I am sorry to learn that your father is dead, he was a fine man and surely he was a good father to his sons and a good husband to your mother.  You all must miss him, and please be kind to tell your family that I felt with all of you, when I got the sorrowful message.

  It is deplorable (?) you did not come to Norway during your stay in Europe, we would (have) appreciated it so much, and to you it had been an adventure to come to your fathers country in the marvellous (sp.)  days when the "peace broke out". And now one year has gone since then. The conditions are quite good in Norway at present, taken in consideration that the Germans robbed us and especially in the northern part burned houses when they escaped from there.  There thousands of families live apart and have bad enough roof over their heads till their homes are rebuild, but change (?) to others, they won't move from there. 

  People do not starv (sp) in Norway, and we are glad we are able to export food, fish, to other countries.  Clothes are getting better, but how to get a shirt is the very problem.  

  I must say, that you and your brothers have been been talked about and I am glad to know that you all came through it well, and hope your feet and legs are better.  Here in Oslo we could see how the English and Americans where (sp) marching where we guard and it does not suprise me that a man get bad legs by that excersis (sp).  Perhaps I told you of my brother, he is lamb (paralized I think you call it) in one leg and one arm, it started in 1940 and the doctors give him no hope.  That is bad too, he stands on my right hand in the (?) picture.  He is married and have a four years old daughter and expects another daughter or son in May, fortunately he is able to go to the tram by his one good leg and two sticks, so he is doing his office work, but the rest of the days he sits in a chair and never gets anywhere.  So I am trying to buy a motor car so I could take him and his family out on Sundays, but here is none car to get, they are all reserved for military or the police or other institutions.  Evidently it takes some years till the new cars come from your country and the prices will be about 3,000 dollars what we figure here.  It is strange to remember how people in U.S.A. in 1939 could buy little used cars for a cost of a couple hundred dollars.  And now the prizes (sp) are rised perhaps in U.S.A too? 

  I shall remember you and your mother and brothers from my folks and my two brothers and their children and of course from myself.  

  Your cousin Knut.


All three Hansen boys fought in WWII as members of "The Greatest Generation".  In his 1998 book of the same title,  Tom Brokaw describes this generation  who came of age during the Great Depression and went on to fight in WWII.  They fought not for fame or recognition, but because it was the "right thing to do".  They were fighting for not only their country and families, but for  their extended family in far off Norway.  Per made the ultimate sacrifice at the age of 23.   Jack, Bob and Harold all came home.  
Next post...WWII pictures.......
  

  
  
  

1 comment:

  1. I was able to get a translation of the last two lines written in Norwegian in the top letter. It reads "And so to end dear Uncle I wish you and yours all good and send you a real Norwegian and free greeting. Knut"
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete